Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Genealogy Do-Over-Preparing to Research

Looking back at my Genealogy Do-Over posts from last year, it seems that I sort of merged my Base Practices and Guidelines with my Research Preparation. So, while I have some important practices outlined to guide me as I research,

This hangs over the "computer desk" where I research.
I didn't fully address the preparation for researching. Things like knowing where you left off last time, or exactly what your goals are for a particular session.

CLEAN WORK SURFACE
I need to work in a tidy environment. If my workspace is cluttered, so is my brain, that's just the way my brain is wired. I must make sure that my desk and surrounding area are ready for work.

NOTES
In Evernote I am going to make a notebook for each of my 2016 research goals like learning more about researching English records and finally finishing my slide scanning project. One of the notes I will keep in each notebook will be to remind myself where I left off at the end of the previous session and were I wanted to begin in the next. I will also keep notes of progress and any thoughts that I have while I am learning or researching or scanning. That deadly phrase, "I'll remember," has to be something I forget.

And speaking of Evernote, before I watch another Hangout or do another search in Ancestry, it would be a great idea to spend some more time learning my way around Evernote. If all I ever do with Evernote is keep track of information I know I will use in the future but that would be a BSO today, it will be well worth it, but I'd like to know as much about it as possible.

TIME MANAGEMENT/BUDGET
Another big one is to make sure I have adequate time for whatever I plan to do when I sit down. Whether it be an hour for one of DearMYRTLE's hangouts (or 90 minutes for Monday's with MYRT), or to make sure that my scanning time includes indexing, recording metadata, storing the slides, backing up the scans, and taking good notes for the next session.

This list looks a bit short but it feels like a good start and I can always add things as I go. I have a feeling that my next post will be from inside a couple of feet of snow and might have something to do with Evernote.

Stay warm and safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

Since My Last Post

  Carl Anderson (rt), his son Axel (lt), his grandson Gilbert (standing), and great-grandson. Since my last post, I've spent a good deal...