Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Genealogy Do-Over - Month 2 Preview

Wow, this year is flying by already! It's February 1st and I'm still adjusting to writing and typing 2016.



This month's topics for the Do-Over are Establishing Base Practices and Setting Research Goals.

Establishing Base Practices

Back in cycle 2, I compiled a list of "Best" Practices which you can find in one of the tabs above as well as in these two posts: Part I and Part II.

Setting Research Goals

I set out some fairly specific research goals for this year, but those goals can be broken down into smaller parts for planning purposes and so that I can have that all-important plan each time I sit down to do research. I'll be working on that this week.  I've been using Thomas MacEntee's time management spreadsheet at work and I really like his system. It's simple and easy to adopt but it works. You can see his presentation here and below is part of my genealogy spreadsheet.

Click for larger image

I've also been reading Kerry Scott's How to Use Evernote for Genealogy. I'm hoping I'll have time to finish it by the end of the long weekend for President's Day and then really get into using it more and deciding how I will use it going forward.

Blog posts are something else I would like to add to my planning, but I haven't made any progress for February so far. So, I'll be back, but I don't know when!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't wish to share your email address, please comment anonymously. Thank you.

"New" Siblings for my Great-Grandmother and a Mystery

Ada Hobbs and Bessie Hobbs, the only photo I have of any of Ada's siblings. My grandfather's writings about his family and his mothe...